Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Elementary General Music: The Best of MEJ

A thoughtful reflection of a treasured classic



It is an article that will serve me for the rest of my career and present a unique opportunity to my general music students. When I know that something special to me has been researched and useful to others it makes me feel connected to the teacher community both personally and professionally. This particular area of the world has not had as much attention or representation in most curriculum because it is not our native folk traditions. However, without exposure to this area of music education students won't receive the rich musical traditions that can be an incredible exposure for building cultural awareness. Even as an adult I've learned of new Balkan dances that I'd like to try with students identified through the resources posted alongside this article.

The articles within this anthology include publications as early as 1970, surely making this the oldest resource in my studies. Surprisingly, the content is relevant and research based. These two details lend tried and true quality to the topics most relevant for music instruction (Philosophy, Behavior Management, Active Listening, Singing, Movement, Creating, Performance and Co-teaching). I'm blessed to have read this text as a complimentary resource from our school library, and plan to share some notable insights with you all.

One inspiring article impacted me based on its title "Teaching Music through Balkan folk dance". I am of Greek heritage which is often included in the group of countries known as the Balkans. In my childhood, I attended folk dance classes taught by Greek-Americans to educate our church community about these traditions. We would count in irregular meters and learn patterns that emphasized the strong beats as an ensemble. This experience fostered a love of community dance as a social and musical party, especially when we would dance for festivals, holidays and other similar gatherings. There was an accessibility to these dances despite the sophisticated meter and instrumentation. Our experience with music should occasionally include celebration in the elementary classroom, and nothing is more joyous than children dancing!

Although I could continue on and on about the numerous articles, I will leave you with my highest recommendation for finding a local copy to peruse. It's been very exciting to gain perspective from music education forty years ago, and I think you too will see that these articles are timeless and thorough guides to our profession as general music teachers. Wishing you all a safe and relaxing July!

Musically,
Elia Sophia


No comments:

Post a Comment