Monday, August 6, 2018

Teach Like a PIRATE: Creative Transformation

This text was a refreshing perspective to  classroom instruction and a great back to school book. Dave Burgess uses presentational strategies to teach middle school history as well as professional development seminars. He informs the reader early on of the pitfalls of experienced educators becoming complacent and what we can do to conquer excuses as school teachers. I will list the topics for increasing creativity and engagement:
* Building Rapport
*Failure as Feedback
*Reframing for motivation
*Crafting rigorous opportunities
*The 5 senses as a Hook
*Just Do It
*Collaborating with Like Minds
My favorite element was the use of non-educational research applied to the school setting. There was also an intentional tone of openness that kept me engaged from cover to cover. When a successful teacher can admit to their weaknesses, it allows professional peers to approach new ideas with enthusiasm. I'm grateful for passionate teachers today when they share experiences of wisdom through books, blogs, forums, and podcasts. My own love for learning motivates me to seek helpful resources for my career in music education. If you are like me, and have acquired notable teaching tools, please comment to share what works well in your practice!

No comments:

Post a Comment